Speaking to My Younger Self

I am sitting here with my hot chocolate and marshmallows, thinking about my life.  Where does the time go?  Several years ago, I couldn't wait to have a high or perfect credit score, nice clothes, shoes, a beautiful family, a comfy home, pets, and retirement.  Now I am here and wanting something more.  I got involved with Instagram because I saw the 'fun' and interesting posts my daughter was involved in and thought this was it.  For me, this felt like my next step.  So, I jumped.  Not necessarily in the deep end, nonetheless, I still jumped.

There is so much I want to share.  I want to share my life and the lessons I learned.  I want to share my fashion style.  What is quality and affordable.  I want to share positive impacts on the world we all share.  Bring positivity and motivation to all. I want. I want. I want.

If I could take all my knowledge now and tell this to my younger self or had listened to my CPA grandfather, would my life have been easier?

For the younger me, work hard and don't make excuses.  Be true to yourself and your word. Put a percentage of money in the bank (savings, 401k, CD, etc.) for the future.  Don't overspend and live within your means.  At 18, do you really need a $3000/month luxury apartment, expensive designer clothes, and a luxury car, and then you are unable to put food in your belly, pay for your utilities, and not able to afford medical care?  Is it worth putting these things on credit where your interest rate is above 10%, and you're paying more in interest than your monthly bill?  Think about the $100+ interest each month and where that could be going. (Think food, healthcare, vitamins, new shoes, etc.)

But when we are younger, we think we know everything, which will be different for us. Wow!  This cyclical, generational thought is never-ending.

Stop living life in the fast lane in an unstable vehicle. (See what I did there?)  

Please slow down and enjoy every day like it is your last day.  Enjoy the moment.  Enjoy the storms and sunshine. Surround yourself with positivity. Limit the crap and lousy news that surround us.  Control your environment to make this positivity easier on yourself.

Read, read, read. Read articles and books that engage your brain, provide entertainment, and expand your vocabulary.

Spread kindness to others, especially the strangers you see out in public.  You never know where they are in life; your kindness could improve their world.

It is okay to practice self-care. Self-care activities include but are not limited to, reading, hot baths, rest, naps, fitness, hanging out with friends, hobbies, good nutrition, sprinkled with a banana split on occasion, and good fun television (entertaining television, not the news).

It is okay to distance yourself from toxic people. Even if it is family. Toxic people are toxic people. Don't let them bring their issues and negativity into your life and bring you down. They don't care so you don't need to either. The toxicity they have is not even about you in the first place; it is about them.  Be a warrior and armor yourself to protect your energy and mental health.

Remember, you are not alone and definitely not the first person to go through trials and tribulations.  Spend time with those you respect who have made it through.  Get help from a professional. Sometimes we cannot do it alone, and there is nothing - ZERO - wrong with getting help.

None of us is perfect. Perfect is boring. But we all have opportunities and have the ability to turn those opportunities into a wonderful life.

I know you can do it.  Have faith in yourself.

Be happy, healthy and safe!


Comments