Renewal

In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, it's easy to overlook the simple joys of rest and rejuvenation. Yet, there's an art to finding renewal in the everyday moments, from catching up on rest to tackling light chores and indulging in a long, hot shower.

  

This is me this morning. I woke up at 6 and felt exhausted as if I had been run over by a large rolling pin. I returned to bed for another couple of hours and felt much better. I was fortunate this morning that today's calendar was relatively empty, allowing me to indulge. After a long, hot shower, I dressed and tackled the rest of my laundry; I had items hanging to dry, and today, I put them away and straightened up a bit.

Part of my self-care activities is ensuring my environment is up to par (my version of up-to-par) and that I can feel relaxed and calm. Self-care inspires my cleaning habits.

My self-care routine requires rest and sleep. Without this, my body would not have recovered from the stress and work in the prior days.  Sleep and rest allow my body and mind to recharge.

It seems our world glorifies busyness, and taking time to rest can feel like a radical act of self-care. I am here to share: No, it is not radical. It is needed and should be embraced. Self-care should be part of your daily calendar.  We have all heard the saying: You cannot pour water from an empty bottle.  Remember this when you are tired and feeling overwhelmed.  You cannot take care of your family if you run on empty.  Now, I have not practiced this 100% of the time and get it. Sometimes, we feel we have no choice. Please make the time to seek assistance from family or friends or even a paid service (housework, cooking, etc.) to maintain your health.

While chores may not be everyone's idea of fun, there's a certain satisfaction in tidying up our surroundings. Today, the small tasks I completed have created a sense of accomplishment and provided clarity for me.  While doing my small chores, I listened to my audiobook, which made time go by. I find that I tend to get lost a bit in listening to the book that I wind up finishing before I realize it. Sometimes, if time permits, I will even do a bit more around the house for even greater satisfaction.


As we navigate life's ups and downs, we must carve out moments that allow us to rejuvenate, renew, grow, and relax to become better people and maintain some sort of sanity.

I cannot wait to see what today brings; there are so many wonderful possibilities.

Be happy, healthy and safe!

*Photos from Canva



Comments